Sunday, October 26, 2014

Back On The Road

Ellorie took off early in the morning to head for Edmont.  I had to bide my time waiting for a truck, possibly Park Service, to leave the parking area.  Needed to take down my incognito tent tucked back into the woods.  Lots of driving in circles and passing the parking lot every ten minutes or so to see if the truck had moved on.  It finally pulled away and headed deeper into the park.  I wasted no time, grabbed my tent, tore it down and threw it into my car as quick as possible.

The sun was just starting to show slight streaks across the sky as I headed south on 16 towards Jasper.  In no hurry, I drove slowly enjoying the views of mirror calm rivers and mountains getting the first hints of sun.  I pulled off at a park area to dry my tent out and get some shots of the morning.  A small lake was tucked back in the trees, reflecting the morning's purple and oranges, a steady fog rising off it's surface and evaporating off above the trees.  So peaceful.  Even the moon was having a hard
time leaving its post in the sky.  Reflecting purple as the sun began to take back the morning.  

Jasper was a quick stop on my way through to Mt. Robson.  Fall colors were still hanging on and the meandering drive further slowed down my tempo for the day.  I had nowhere to be and an infinite amount of time to get there.  Mt. Robson loomed into view and I pulled of for a mid morning breakfast and possibly a nap.  From mice in cars, late nights around bonfires, and days full of hiking, I was running on fumes to say the least.  Nothing like backing up the Subaru to a picnic table, popping the hatch, and having a cup of coffee in view of the most prominent peak in North America's Rocky Mountains and the highest point in the Canadian Rockies.    




The remainder of my drive passed as lazily as the first few hours, and I decided to make it all the way to Whistler in one shot.  In retrospect, I wish I could have stopped north of Pemberton at a pull out and watched the sun set over Lillooet Lake.  But, driving in twilight has its own benefits and I coasted into Whistler ready for an actual bed.  I spent the next two days catching up on emails, sending the last summer data to Bob, and taking care of a newsletter blurb I told Brittany at Kotzebue FWS I would have done over a week ago.  The last of summer's loose ends have now been tied.
 My bike was also finally finished and following some frame bending, numerous new parts, and an unfixable wheel that finally bent to the mechanic's will, it was riding better than ever.  I glided over the Valley Trail Loop.  Nothing feels better than a just tuned bike and empty trails.   

With all my errands done, I left Whistler late in the day for the sole reason the car was packed.  I thought about spending the night in Squamish but bad weather nixed that plan.  Instead, I stopped at Shannon Falls
where I picked up a nice fellow from the Czech Republic for a ride along to Vancouver.   I didn't fully understand where this man worked, but from what I gathered, he worked 20 days a month and then for his ten days off, he bought a plane ticket and flew to a different country, making it back with just enough time to return to his (janitorial/maintenance?) duties.  Not a shabby way to make the working life a little more bearable.  He rode with me into downtown, where after a few stop lights, we shook hands, wished each other well, and out he hopped, blending into the crowed after only a few steps.  I proceeded to blast a few favorite albums for the remainder of my drive to the border.  Back in the U.S.A!  Having the passport of the country you are entering makes the process infinitely easier.  The border patrol officer looked at my passport, looked at me, asked me where I was coming from, and off I went.  Much better than the tinted-aviator-shade wearing Canadian officer from a few months ago.  

I got my bearings at a McDonalds in Bellingham WA, called some friends, and had a mini freak out about having such an open ended schedule.   Walmart parking lots don't have many benefits, only one actually, they are a safe haven for parking for the night to get some sleep.  I was one of about twenty RVs doing the same.  Some of them looked like they had been there awhile, with trailers unhitched and a small barbecue grill outside the door.  I left my car at Walmart and rode my bike to the Bellingham Library to make a plan for the next few days before I swung down to Oregon to stay with Nick and Mona for a few days.  Needing to clear my head,  Mt. Baker National Forest seemed like just the place to be the only one around and remove any distractions.  

Mt. Baker National Forest is an interesting place.  For one, it seems that moss and every other living thing were in a battle for supremacy, with moss winning the war.  Every surface was covered, advancing moss oozing over trees, concrete, and any other surface that held even a hint of moisture.  But, it did give me what I wanted and needed, which was a little peace to think and calm myself down.

No comments:

Post a Comment