Monday, June 9, 2014

Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

Whistler, BC was relaxing but rain came down in sheets for nearly my entire visit.  Most of my time was spent drinking coffee and reading "crack books," as my friend Jen calls them.  Highly addictive but no redeeming intellectual value. Sun showed its face for a few hours on my last day and I stretched my legs a bit,  biking the Valley Trail which winds through forests and around numerous lakes.  The next day my journey to Alaska would begin.

Started the morning off by taking the Greyhound from Whistler.  The bus packed itself full after Squamish (halfway between Whistler and Vancouver) so basically had to fold in half to fit into my seating area.  The man in front took pity on me and moved his chair to the full upright position so my chin wasn't on his seatback.  Seriously, chin on the seatback.      


Meandered through Vancouver's Chinatown, heading towards the Sky Train after arriving at Greyhound's bus depot.  Really wish my camera hounden't been safely stored in the clothing stuff sack.  The vibrant open markets and strong colors would have been something to capture.bringing me to the Vancouver airport and my next bus leg. 

Arrived at Vancouver International Airport after a short tram ride from downtown Waterfront Station.  Boarding Quick Bus, the journey was strange in that it involved a massive bus, yet only 10 other people traveled from Vancouver.  So much for efficiency of public or mass transportation eh?  I took the first seat up front to be able to look out the window during the drive and just think.  No music, no books, just thoughts.  Noticed the bus driver had a few quirky mannerisms that ended up entertaining me throughout the drive.  

Mannerism #1.  He seemed to be practicing a speech in his head.  Hands subtly moving, swaying gently back and forth, and brow significantly furrowed in concentration.  But, he would snap from the trance, realizing his actions and back off the display only to unconsciously return to the behavior.  

Mannerism #2.  He was a snacker.  But not junk food.  Oh no, our driver was a health snacker.  Multiple little bags of carrots, fruit, and unknown health items grabbed from his bag when he needed to refuel so as to not run out of energy during his speech practice.

Mannerism #3.  After every snack - he ate all the above on individual occasions and multiple bags of each - a stash of flossing picks would appear, one carefully chosen, and aggressively flossing would ensue.


Admittedly, I can't blame the man for having a routine on the ride.  With no music and scenery he has most likely seen a thousand times, a distraction on the journey is needed. 

I spent 10 minutes in the Seattle airport before I decided to splurge a little and get a hotel for the night.  Alaska airlines doesn't allow check in more than 4 hours prior to departure, stymieing my airport sleeping options.  I chose Motel 6.  Mistake.  Should've splurged a little more.  Here's the rundown.  According to the Motel 6 website, free wifi, complimentary breakfast, and prompt airport shuttle were all available.  False.  Airport shuttle took nearly an hour to pick me up after I called, a warning of impending doom.  Checked into the room and greeted with stained covers still on the bed.  Good thing there were two beds in the room so no worries right?  Just sleep in the clean one.  Not gonna justify that logic in hindsight.  Hair in the shower and sink too.   Found a credit card in the room so brought that down to the front desk and asked how to log onto the free wifi.  Oh, its $5.00.  I guess not a big deal but felt like a classic bait and switch.  Just about to hit the pillow when a party started in the room beside me.  Thud of crappy techno music and girls going "Woooo!"  From the safety of my room, heard another guest tell them to keep it down, promptly followed by a "F**K OFF!"  The morning spread consisted of watery coffee.  Ideal continental breakfast.  


Flight into Anchorage from Seattle went smoothly but unfortunately didn't get to see much out the window aS thick clouds prevented my view.  Did snap a few gloomy photos from the plane on the approach.  Also, TSA hired a few new employees, puppies.  A little in training bomb sniffer was runnin around the terminal as happy as could be.  














Boarding the flight from Anchorage to Kotzebue, it was very apparent that everyone knew one another, including flight attendants.  Like an idiot, I managed to sit in the wrong seat, being asked to move by a twelve year old.  Watching luggage transfer into the plane's belly, tables, boxes of Gatorade, Ikea shelving , and a small toolbox sat snugly in with typical luggage.

The ground below was hidden by cloud cover but the sky did break as Kotzebue neared, exposing an endless expanse of tundra and ice clogged inlets.  No sign of human occupancy anywhere until reaching Kotzebue.

1 comment:

  1. Yay! You're almost to Alaska! Can't wait for pictures! You're going to have a blast :D

    ReplyDelete