Friday, May 23, 2014

Home Sweet Hoome

As good a time as any to give a little tour around my home for the past week and change.  I have set the tent up a few times but have mostly been sleeping in the back of the Subaru as low thirties are typical night temps.


The majority of my things fit on the left side of the car, with only my shoes and toolbox in the front.  Directly behind the drivers set, three drawers house my cooking supplies, clothing, small gear items, and my toiletries.  Hiking backpack comes next holding my spare clothing and dirty laundry.   Have mostly been wearing the same pants and rotating between two shirts.  Really need to wash those.....   

The right side of the car is where I sleep.  Two old foam peices, salvaged from the reusit store, have been my bed which is suprisingly comfortable.   I use a lightweight, 20 degree down quilt from Hammock Gear (black), supplemented with a lightweight synthetic quilt and fleece liner (both red) made by yours truly for colder nights.  A really good sleep system that doesn't take up too much space at all in a pack. 

Food takes up two egg crates in the back (not shown, in bear proof storage) followed by my sleeping clothing and large jug for water.   The six gallon jug has really come in handy when I stay at rustic sites as I don't need to come back to town to refill water often. 

Photo to the left is usually how my camp looks when I don't have the tent set up.  You can see the bear proof storage locker in the photo too.  These are really common at camping areas the further west you go.  

As for food, have been a big fan of the little rice pouches you can find at any grocery store.  Just boil water, pour in the bag, and place the bag in an insulated envelope to cook.  The insulated envelope allows the rice to keep cooking without wasting fuel for the stove.  Plus, eating right out of the bag cuts down on dishes.  Only thing is, make sure you have a long handled spoon when eating from the food pouches to keep your fingers from gettin rice all over them.

For breakfast, typically make oatmeal with raisins, almonds, a little coconut, and honey.  Have a cup of coffee with it and its a good way to start your day. 
  


No comments:

Post a Comment